Well, it looks like I win the April 2011 ‘Appalling Blogger’ award. What can I say? A bad combination of personal life drama, lingering headcolds, too much work and excessively full social calendar conspired against me. No further excuses; just me resolving to do better from this point!
At least there’s actually been quite a lot of knitting going on. I’ve nearly finished a Malabrigo scarf for the now former (see above comment about personal life drama) boyfriend. I’ve been knitting away busily on a new version of my pullover design. And I just finished a new hat, after falling instantly in lust with the pattern a month or so ago.
Pattern: and HOW (Ravelry link), by Reiko Kuwamura
Yarn: A bit over half a ball of faithful old Bendigo Woolen Mills Rustic 12ply in ‘Graphite’
Needles: You know, I am terrible and don’t actually recall. 5mm? Quite small for the yarn weight, definitely.
Colour commentary: As mentioned above, I saw this hat and fell INSTANTLY in love with it. I knew it had to be mine. But the thing was, I really wasn’t sure about whether or not it would work on my head. Hats that fit too closely tend not to play very well with my sometimes frustratingly exuberant mix of curls and frizz – they hug my head and then the hair splays out in a way that looks odd at best and downright comical at worst.
Thankfully, I seem to have dodged the bullet with this one. It doesn’t make my hair look ridiculous. I can even wear it while my hair is tied up, which is always a plus as my hair, left unrestrained, tends to drive me a bit bonkers.
To be honest, I still haven’t figured out the best way of attaching the buckle. For all that I love buckles and frequently wear clothing that features them, I’ve never actually made something with one before. Right now I’m just trying a few different methods and seeing what sticks.
The pattern was great to work with; incredibly simple, it would be a great beginner project for somebody who isn’t afraid of the sewing. If I made it again, I’d consider doing a provisional cast on and grafting the seam instead of sewing it (mainly because my seaming abilities are mediocre at best). I’d probably also do some short row shaping in the crown, as much to save on yarn as to avoid the somewhat excessive levels of slouch present in my finished hat; there’s a lot of excess fabric back there. But those small quibbles aside, I’m very happy with this. Once the Buckle Issue is resolved, I have every hope of wearing this to death through the coming winter.